EU negotiators on Thursday failed to back rules to increase deportations from the bloc amid continued disagreement on a start date.
Migration Commissioner Magnus Brunner has referred to the returns regulation as the “missing piece” in sweeping reforms the EU is rolling out to increase control over who crosses its external borders, as well as sending support to countries that receive the most migrants.
The legislation, if approved, would give countries the option to send people who’ve been ordered to leave EU territory to “return hubs” in countries outside the bloc — an option several EU countries are already exploring, but which civil society groups have warned could open the door to abuse and human rights violations.
The legislation would introduce stricter rules for dealing with people considered a security threat and the possibility of home searches, as well as long detentions and entry bans. It also foresees penalties for those who don’t cooperate.
The EU institutions disagree on when the new measures should be implemented: Parliament advocates for immediate application, whereas Council wants two years to prepare for all measures except the return hubs provision, which would apply immediately.
Talks took place Wednesday, but no agreement on a start date was reached. They tried again on Thursday but again failed to agree. The negotiators struck a compromise on all other aspects of the deal.
Negotiators are expected to meet again on June 1.
Parliament entered the discussions with a position supported by the center-right European People’s Party, the right-wing European Conservatives and Reformists and the far-right Patriots and Europe of Sovereign Nations groups, despite opposition from lawmakers in liberal and left-wing groups.
Greens MEP Mélissa Camara said the talks had been a “parody of negotiations.”
“Instead of fighting for a dignified and humane text, they chose to focus on a ridiculous battle over when the text would start applying,” she said.
Via Politico







