Maldivian authorities are investigating whether Italian divers who died in a deepwater cave accident may have descended further than intended, following the discovery of five fatalities in a submerged cave system near the capital Malé.

A government spokesperson said officials are examining several possible factors behind the tragedy, including whether the group went beyond safe or expected diving depths during the expedition. One body has been recovered so far, while the remaining four were located deeper inside the cave, according to rescue teams.

The diving group entered the cave on Thursday as part of a research mission led by Monica Montefalcone, a 51-year-old University of Genoa professor and marine ecologist with extensive experience diving in Maldivian waters. Her daughter was among the four researchers who died, along with an instructor.

Authorities said the original permit for the expedition was issued for marine research involving soft coral studies, and did not specifically authorise cave diving activities, raising questions about whether the group’s activities matched the approved scope of the expedition.

The instructor’s body was recovered from a depth of around 60 metres, highlighting the extreme conditions involved in the dive. Officials are continuing recovery efforts and reviewing dive data, equipment use and planning procedures as part of the ongoing investigation into the incident.

via Reuters