President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense conversation Tuesday over efforts by Arab and Muslim mediators to advance a proposed framework intended to prevent renewed conflict between the United States and Iran and reopen negotiations with Tehran.
According to three sources familiar with the discussion cited by Channel 12, President Trump briefed Netanyahu on a proposed “letter of intent” that mediators are seeking to secure between Washington and Tehran. The proposal would begin with a 30-day negotiation period covering issues including the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s nuclear program.
Two Israeli sources familiar with the call said Netanyahu questioned the initiative and supported maintaining US military pressure on Iran in an effort to weaken the regime.
The discussions took place as Qatar, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Egypt continued mediation efforts related to the dispute.
One US source briefed on the call told Axios that “Bibi’s hair was on fire after the call.” The same report said Netanyahu had expressed concern during earlier stages of negotiations as well. “Bibi is always concerned,” the source said.
Asked on Wednesday about his conversation with Netanyahu, President Trump told reporters he believed the Israeli leader would follow his direction.
“He’s a very good man, he’ll do whatever I want him to do. And he’s a great guy … Don’t forget he was a wartime prime minister,” he said.
Sources close to Iran’s negotiating team told the Iranian semi-official news agency Tasnim that Tehran’s mediators were reviewing the document, although no agreement had been finalized.
President Trump said Wednesday that the United States and Iran remained close to either renewed conflict or a diplomatic agreement.
“Iran and the US are right on the borderline,” he told reporters.
“If we don’t get the right answer, it could happen very quickly. We have not got the right answer. It will have to be 100% good answers,” he said, adding that he would allow a “few days” for talks.
The Prime Minister’s Office declined to comment. A spokeswoman for the Israeli Embassy denied that Ambassador Leiter told US lawmakers that Netanyahu was worried following the call. The White House did not respond.







